This may or may not be of interest or value but thought I would post it just the same.
The following information comes from the Kansas Resources Inventory Reconnaisance Forms located at the Atchison Public Library.
508 North 2nd Street
Purchased by Kate Kartherens Finney in 1872 and the home was built for her family some time later. Members of the family occupied the house well into the 20th century after which it became a rental property owned by Dr. C.C. Finney. It remained in the family until 1946. As of the time of this record (7/26/1990) the present owner has owned and occupied the home since 1958.
504 North 2nd Street
James, oldest son of Michael and Kate Finney, bought the lot in 1979, built the small house between 1880-1881 for himself, deeded to widow mother whose home was next door. Remained as a Finney rental property until 1973
513 North 2nd Street
This property was owned by the Finney family for many years. The estimated date of construction on the lot is 1890. Louise Finney is said to individual ownership in 1947. As of the time of this record (1990) the present owner, Fred White, has owned the home since 1960. This is 1 story an “L” shaped clapboard home.
510 North 2nd Street
Kate Finney, who lived next door, bought this lot from Catherin Riordan (sp. ?) in 1899. Construction on the land is estimated at 1905 by Kate’s youngest child ,Dr. Charles c. Finney, to which he and his family occupied until 1953.As of the time of this record (9/26/1990) the present owner has occupied sine 1969. This home is red brick 2 story with rectilinear Queen Anne influences.
516 North 2nd Street
Bought in 1905 dr. c.C. Finney bought this lot and had this rental home built next door to him own residence.He would later add 2 homes and a store front to his holdings which already include 3 lots to the south of this. This residence remained in the Finney family until present owner (as of the date of this record – 9/26/1990) bought it in 1948.
520 North 2nd Street
Dr. C.C. Finney who has owned property at the south end of this block since 1866, bought lot 13 & 14 in 1907 and built 2 homes and a store front as rental property in 1908. This property remained in the family until 1948. Small brick contrustion with Queen Anne influence.
522 North 2nd Street
Dr. C.C. Finney who has owned property at the south end of this block since 1866, bought lot 13 & 14 in 1907 and built 2 homes and a store front as rental property in 1908. This property remained in the family until 1948. Small brick contrustion with Queen Anne influence, very similar to the construction of 520 n 2nd street.
524 North 2nd Street
When this store front and the home to the east were built they were partially placed on the Laramie Street row which later had to be abandoned. (It is unclear what year this took place or for what reason – perhaps due to the flooding of the Missouri River) The land was purchase and construction began in 1908 by Dr. C.C. Finney. Grocers who did within the building include Jame Hilton an S.L Murphy. This building is of a utilitarian rectangular construction with a flat roof.
604 North 2nd Street
Although there has been a house on this lot since the very early days, the shape changed dramatically after Dr. C.C. Finney purchased the lot in 1912. W.A. Gould of Atchison Optical is listed as the occupant in 1918. In 1948 the lot is sold to Dale Schuman as is listed as the owner (as of 1991, the date of this record) in 1977. Shotgun style home with front wing gables
701 North 2nd Street
Bought by a Finney family member in 1914, with construction estimated between 1816 and 1824. Used as rental property until 1944.
705 North 2nd Street
Bought by a Finney family member in 1914, with construction estimated between 1816 and 1824. Used as rental property until 1945.
Note: It is believed that Finney's may have owned addition properties, but research on this is not yet complete.